Friday, November 7, 2008

Prop 8

I thought I was done with politics for a while. Truthfully, I'm tired of politics. It felt good to do a blog about Snow Football Day. But the protests in California, especially in front of the temple, have been thought provoking and I can't help but share my feelings on the subject.

What is the push behind the legalization of gay marriage in California? Will they be awarded additional legal benefits? Homosexual couples in a "domestic relationship" in California are already given practically every benefit and privilege awarded to heterosexual married couples. Or is it a civil rights question? The battlecry is "equality." They say they want the American people, including the LDS church, to confirm that they are equal. Equal as people? Equal in worth?

The LDS church, the gay and lesbian community's new favorite target, has repeatedly stated its position that homosexuals are of equal worth--that the church reaches out to them and its members regard them as their brothers and sisters. But homosexuals want the American people to confirm the principle that their relationships are equal to that which is had between a man and a woman bound in holy matrimony. This we cannot do. It is not hatred or bigotry. It is simply stating our belief that marriage is a sacred institution and that a homosexual relationship is not that sacred institution!

It is not a fundamental right to "marry whoever I want." Heterosexuals don't have that right either! If I wanted to marry anyone or anything besides an adult woman not too closely related to me, do you think the government would recognize that union? Do you think the church would champion my cause? Marriage is not simply an expression of love. LDS church members believe it has an Eternal purpose. And whether you call it a marriage or not, a homosexual union will never fulfil that purpose.
To ask members of the church to deny that is to ask us to deny our beliefs. Do they think that I would go to church if I didn't believe what is being taught? Is it some kind of social club? No! It's hard work! It requires sacrifice!

As far as the "seperation of church and state" issue goes... I don't care what kind of legislation is in question, if you are going to make a decision to support it or oppose it you will make that decision based on what you believe is right. If some Americans actually believe in religion, church will affect what they believe and church will always have an effect on government issues. As long as religion exists, the two are inseperable.

3 comments:

celeste said...

Someone once explained to me that marriage is a privilege that government grants its citizens. It's not an inalienable right, but rather a priviledge to have that union recognized by the state. Great post!

Jen R. said...

I don't know how I missed this one. If Jared dies I'm going to marry the future family dog. Like Louis does on Family Guy. Hopefully he'll be able to talk like that dog...that would be cool

Jacob Romney said...

I find it interesting that the very people crying for tolerance refuse to tolerate our beliefs. I don't hate homosexuals. I have a few friends who are gay. But I can not and will not support that practice. I show none of the hate that is currently being showered upon us Mormons for refusing to accept homosexuality as right and equal. So who is intolerant of who?