Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Modern Gladiators

Looking back at the ancient Roman arena and the atrocities commited therein, most of us are appalled. Slaves, criminals, and professionals fought one another, often to the death, for the entertainment of spectators. We regard the patrons of the arena and their blood-lust with contempt and disgust.

There is much to be admired about gladiator combat. It could be argued to be the pinnacle of competition--win or die. Many of the gladiators were highly skilled in their craft. They must have been terrific athletes. Not all of them fought against their will, and some of them became successful celebrities. They were known to demonstrate extreme courage. Cicero said, "...when do you ever see one twist his neck away after he has been ordered to extend it for the death blow?"
Does the fact that the arena put some admirable qualities on display make it a virtuous activity?
Human nature has not changed. Our thirst for contention and destruction has not been assuaged. Rather than indulging in physical violence, we revel in emotional and psychological combat.
I'm talking, of course, about the abomination known as reality television.
We delight in the tears of contestants on the Bachelor(ette).
We are thrilled by the arguing and backstabbing that takes place on the Apprentice.
We laugh at cat fights between disturbed and egotistical women on America's Next Top Model.
We love to hate the jerk who constantly ridicules and criticizes his substitute wife on Wife Swap.
And who gets sucked into American Idol by the winners? We get sucked in by the losers--the people who make fools of themselves. (And by "we" I mean our culture because I have never been sucked into that lame show.)
Okay, so reality TV isn't as bad as watching men kill each other for the fun of it, but it's the same principle and I really hate reality TV.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

i wish that i hated reality tv - i hate the concept of it. but i watch SYTYCD, otherwise known as so you think you can dance, and every once in a while, under peer pressure, i'll pick up another one. i am not proud of any of them, but SYTYCD is the one i'm least ashamed of.

i did watch the bachelor this season. i am sorry.

Jen R. said...

when ever I watch people doing dangerous stunts, you know like circus people or motorcycle stunt guys or whatever it is....I secretly hope they might fall. I think that means I might have liked the gladiators...except that I'm a woman and I don't think they were allowed to go. But actually, now that I think about it, I really hate it when Jared watches Ultimate Fighting...it makes me nauseous to watch them hurting eachother. But I think you're right about the reality tv thing. BUT I don't watch American Idol for the losers, I usually don't even watch the first episodes of auditions. I love it when they sing well and I like picking who I think is going to win. And I'm genuinely sad when the people I like get voted off. FYI. I picked the winners of the last two seasons from the first time they all performed as the top group. I should probably be the new judge. And I don't watch any other reality shows except Bachelor(ette) and that one I'm ashamed about.

Jacob Romney said...

I don't watch reality TV. I watch 24. That's about it.