Friday, March 6, 2009

Hoops


I hate hoops. I hated being bored out of my mind in a high school classroom just so they'd give me a piece of paper to turn in with my college application. I hated memorizing that CH3CH2OH, in a SOCl2 or pyridine solution, becomes CH3CH2Cl along with a thousand other equations that would have no application in my career or life.
The latest hoop?
Well, the latest hoop I didn't even know I was supposed to jump through. Apparently, when we bought our home we were supposed to sign a paper that we were never told about. Because we didn't sign this paper that we didn't know about, our property tax went up 1000%.
1000%!!!
That's over $200 per month. Because we missed a hoop. This is one example of how ridiculous the government is. Beaurocracy is a word that has come to mean "taking all common sense out of interpersonal relationships." Well, guess what. The government is growing and beaurocracy is about to take over. Everything is about to get less efficient, more expensive, and more frustrating.
We're going to be so busy jumping through hoops that we won't get anything done.

4 comments:

celeste said...

Don't even get me started on this whole property tax thing. And apparently our neighbors weren't told about this paper either.

Jacob Romney said...

I'll make sure to ask about that paper in the future.

Chris said...

Can't you just appeal it when you go to pay your property tax? I read that the majority of people who appeal their property tax can get it lowered? I don't remember where I read this, but apparently it's true.

And what is this paper you speak of?

Chris said...

I've got one too many "?" in that last comment