Monday, May 19, 2008

The Club


Some people think of traffic tickets as a punishment. Some co-workers introduced me to a different, more optimistic perspective. Instead of thinking of tickets as a punishment, they felt that they were simply paying their dues to be members of an elite club. This club did not have a name, but all of its members were allowed to drive as fast as they pleased.

I pointed out that, depending on how often they were pulled over, everyone's dues were different. They said that this was one of the fun rules of the club--people that were able to avoid the police would pay lower dues. It was a mix of cunning and the roll of the dice and it made the club more exciting.

I suppose I'm a junior member of the club because I always drive about 5-10 mph over the speed limit and I haven't had to pay dues for a few years.

7 comments:

NanRomn said...

So it's true! There really is a club! Your father always says, "Where do those people get their special drivers licenses?"

Jen R. said...

I am so a member of that club...but don't tell Jared. He get's mad when I drive fast. And I admit that I recently had to pay my dues...stupid cops.

Anonymous said...

I will also admit that I am an avid member of the club... for some reason my dues seem to excessively high, to the point where my insurance agent has decided he has wanted to collect dues as well from me. Interesting how he gets a piece of the pie...

Dave said...

Now this is a great club. I have only had to pay dues twice during my life. I too have not had to pay dues for several years. I was upset the last time I had to pay a ticket because I felt it was undeserved, but then I realized I was probably paying for all of the times that I hadn't been caught. Now that I realize I was just paying dues to a club, I feel even better about my investment.

Tyler said...

So can I be considered a member of the club if I've been pulled over half a dozen times yet have only paid dues once?

celeste said...

I am a very elite member of the club. I've only had to pay one fee my whole life. And that's going 10-15 over on my way to Utah. :)

Jacob Romney said...

I don't get speeding tickets. I get tickets for "failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign." are you kidding me? it's called a rolling stop. It's in the driver's handbook. And then there's "failure to signal." You know, I always signal unless I'm passing a slow car in between provo and roosevelt. And then "expired tags." Excuse me officer, but I'm pretty sure 50 cars just passed us going 20 over. I'm not sure what club I'm a part of, but it sucks.