Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sports on TV

I love to watch sports. Like most American men (at least the ones that produce testosterone), I enjoy a good football game. And during March, April, and May I love basketball. But I think that Americans are wasting too much time watching some boring sports when they could be thrilled by some amazing sports. And yes, I'm going to name names (of the sports, that is).

Most Overrated TV Sports

1) Golf -- Is this even a sport? And what could possess a man to sit on his couch for hours watching guys in slacks walk around on a lawn?

2) Bowling -- Bowling is #2 only because fewer people watch it then golf. There is even less honor in watching bowling then there is in watching golf.

3) Baseball -- Now I'm really making some enemies. But you have to admit that baseball is sloooooooow. Fun to play, but to watch? Yawn. Especially with 5,000,000 games a season. I have enjoyed some thrilling moments in the playoffs. But are a few thrilling moments worth the agonizing hours of watching one guy after the next stand there tapping dirt out of his cleats and adjusting his cup?

4) Poker -- Now I know poker is not a sport. I also know that it will put me to sleep faster than propofol.

5) Nascar -- Round and round they go. Vrooooooom! Where's the remote?

6) Fishing -- Again I'm forced to ask... Is this really a sport? I submit that it is NOT! And again, the low ranking is because I don't think anyone actually watches fishing. Fun to do, not to watch.

Most Underrated TV Sports

1) Soccer -- What is wrong with Americans that we don't appreciate the most popular sport in the world? If you can't enjoy a good futbol match, it's because you're ignorant. It is the most beautiful game in the world (besides women's tennis). Learn it.

2) Rugby -- Have you ever actually watched a rugby game? Non-stop action! These guys are bad to the bone--especially the little guys that get in there and mix it up with the monsters. The play's not over after they get crushed like it is in football. And they do it without pads.

3) Hockey -- From puck-handling finesse to hair-raising slap shots to teeth-rattling hits to fighting, hockey is the complete package.

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

i agree with you on most of this, but i also have to say that i started watching golf last year... it was pretty fun. i was also unemployed and sunburned, so maybe something was wrong with me. but i did enjoy it.

and hands down agree that watching soccer is not done enough. i love it.

Jen R. said...

I went to an olympic hockey game and it was horribly boring....but only because the rules are way stricter....they couldn't slam eachother into walls or anything. Not a single exciting thing happened. But my brother and his wife love to go to hockey games. I still feel like that isn't one I would be that interested in watching on tv. Also I think the thing people have with soccer is that sometimes not very much happens for a long time. I mean it has to be the lowest scoring game of all sports. However, that is the sport I like watching most with Jared. Actually it's tied with basketball. Football games I would rather go to, I can only stand to wtahc them on tv if I care about the team, which isn't very many teams.

miles said...

It's pretty rare in soccer that something isn't happening. You just have to understand other aspects of the game besides shooting and scoring goals.

Tyler said...

What most people don't understand is the difficulty involved in handling a ball with your foot. Sure anyone call handle a ball with their hands because physiologically we have more motor neuron units going to the muscles of the hands and forearms which allows for greater agility and dexterity. Our legs were built for endurance and stamina and have less motor neuron units. So those players that can handle a futbol are amazing!

Tyler said...

Oh, and anything that doesn't include strenuous physical activity and an elevated heart rate due to such activity (anxiety and nerves don't count) isn't classified as a sport. In fact, if it doesn't include a ball of some sorts it'd be hard to classify it as a sport as well.

celeste said...

I liked the Brian Regan reference.