Sunday, December 7, 2008

Replace the Boy Nerds of America With Mighty Men!

The young men's program in the LDS church is the Boy Scouts of America.  You may be surprised, as I was, that Boy Scouts used to be cool--in the 30's.  Well, it's not anymore.  And that's coming from an Eagle scout.  Let me tell you about my scouting experience.  I sat in a hard, orange chair, half asleep, listening to a guy in cowboy boots with an out-of-this-world potbelly chew us out for not working on merit badges.  Week in and week  out.  What happened to taking my hatchet into the woods and canoeing across lakes and surviving in make-shift shelters?  We weren't even allowed to touch the hatchet unless we had the tote n' chip card.  And then we had to stay outside the roped area until it was our turn to do some supervised chopping.  

I expressed my concern to my dad, and he assured me that as soon as he is sustained in General Conference as the young men's president Boy Scouts is getting the boot.  In its stead he will institute an as of yet unnamed program.  (Proposed names include the Mighty Man Program or the Stripling Warriors.)  Here are a few of the activities that will be included in the program.

Weight Lifting and Speed Development
CPR, First Aid, and Basic Life Support Certification
Martial Arts
Survival (Wilderness and Urban)

Electives:
Sport(s) of your choice (football, basketball, soccer, baseball, rugby, etc)
Water Sports (wakeboarding, waterskiing, etc)
Snow Sports (snowboarding, skiing, etc)
Advanced Handgun Course
Precision Rifle Course
Bow Hunting

The idea is to go from this:



















to this:

9 comments:

kari b. said...

miles, i enjoyed this post very much!

Jacob Romney said...

I have to agree with this. I got so sick of Boy Scouts. It was completely unenjoyable. I didn't bother to get past star. I wasn't learning anything. I wasn't having fun. I hated it. I have no regrets with not persevering to eagle. I can survive in the wilderness better than most eagle scouts.

Rebekah said...

i believe benjamin is still a tenderfoot.

also, i never did the young women's program. i'm still a beehive or whatever it is.

celeste said...

They're all just made of hoops. I don't think many teenagers actually put real time and thought into their best in the Young Men's and Young Women's programs. Although maybe for some they actually help. At least it's one night out of the week that those teenagers are doing other things that get them into trouble.

Dave said...

As long as President Monson is around, scouting will be around. I have heard rumors (no idea if they are true)that some day the program will get the boot.

I remember hearing that the young women were upset that the scouts got all the money.

miles said...

kari, welcome to my blog! i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, though

Jen R. said...

I got my young women's award but only cause that was my mom's calling and she forced me. And rebekah you didn't get left at beehive...that part is just by age. If you were still a beehive you'd still be 12 or 13 years old. PS.My dad was scout master forever when I was little and he took the boys to do tons of awesome stuff. I remember until I was older we'd go too and I wished I was a scout. I think it depends where you live and who your scout master is...and how much money the program has to spend.

Rebekah said...

jen - the different levels were called beehive I, beehive II, etc. so if you go by how many things i finished in each level, i am still a beehive. i know that's what the age groups are called, but i think that's what the levels were called too.

McLarz said...

The boy scouts prepare boys for the wilderness.
As long as the wilderness has plenty of cautious camp supervisors out in the wild.