Friday, March 14, 2008

Sunbeam Quotes

Sunbeams?!? You want me to teach the Sunbeams?!? I was less than enthusiastic about my new position as a Sunday school teacher for 3-year olds. Looking through the teacher's manual did nothing to improve my outlook. Lesson titles included "I Am Grateful for Flowers" and "I Am Grateful for Water." Singing "Hello, Hello" and "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" all day is not my ideal Sunday School experience. But where intellectual stimulation is absent, comedy is abundant. The Sunbeams' blatant honesty and naivete have provided some priceless laughs. Here are a few examples.

Little twirly-skirt-princess-dress-up-girly-girl Jenika approaches another Sunbeam's dad and pokes him in his pot belly.
"You're a fatty! He he he he he!"

Wyatt: Oh, no! Is this a church movie?
Celeste: Yes, we're going to learn about Heavenly Father and Jesus.
Wyatt: I hate church movies! Why can't we watch Zorro? I love Zorro way more than church.

Celeste: Wyatt, we don't throw chairs.
Wyatt: But I'm so angry!
Celeste: I know, but that doesn't make it okay to throw chairs.
Wyatt: But I'm soooooo angry!

Miles (holding up picture of Jesus): Does anyone know who this is?
Asha: Me! Me! Me!
Miles: Okay, Asha, tell everyone who this is.
Asha: [Silence.]
Miles: Do you know who this is?
Asha: [Silence.]
Miles: Do you need some help?
Asha: [Silence and blank stare.]

Miles: And then Pharoah KILLED all the babies!
Sunbeams: [Wide-eyed silence.]
Celeste: Honey...

1 comment:

Dave said...

This reminds me of our 6 year old niece. She asked an adult family member at a family activity the following: "Did you know that you have really yellow teeth?

Our 5 year old nephew asked an unmarried lady in our extended family the following: "Where is your Dad?" She answered: "What do you mean?" Our nephew replied: "Well, you don't have a ring on your finger." "Oh, you mean where is my husband?" she replied. "I'll tell you what," she said, "you let me know when you find one for me." Later on that day, our nephew came back to her and said, "My friend Carston found you a husband!"